Feb 3, 2009

The Battle For 1987 Cardboard Supremacy

In my ongoing quest to open packs and spend very little money, I came across 3 rack packs of 1987 cards. 1 each of '87 Topps, Donruss and Fleer. While I could certainly just post the highlights and wallow in my nostalgia, I decided to devise an ingenious points system that will allow me to declare a winner in the Battle for 1987 Cardboard Supremacy.

Categories will include star cards, iconic cards (yeah I realize that adjective may be a stretch for 1987), Halo cards, Specialty cards and of course general awesomeness. And of course if I don't get the results I'm looking for, I'll just rig the points to make myself happy.

So who will come out on top? It's a tough call, but going into the pack ripping I figured Donruss for a slight favorite. Count me on the side of those that like the cheesy baseball border inset and black borders. Fleer with its light blue fade has also always intrigued me, although I have very few of these cards in my collection. And then there's good ol' Topps. The wood grain borders which at times strike me as retro cool and at other times lame and stale. Of the '87 cards, I have a much higher number of the Topps cards as this was one of the first sets I ever had the chance to collect. These were some of the first ever cards I put in my collection, so there's a chance the nostalgia factor will win out in their favor.

I'll begin my posts tonight with a look at the Topps rack pack break. It promises to be a battle to the death.

Go Halos!

1 comment:

  1. I would suggest you watch this before opening:

    http://redscards.blogspot.com/2007/12/vintage-pack-opening-lesson-1.html

    It helped me out in my quest for pack opening perfection!

    ReplyDelete