Jan 1, 2009

I HEÅRT HÅLOS: The Intro

It's the first day of 2009 and I'm already committing my first error of the year. In the span of one hour, I have begun the fulfillment of one New Year's Resolution and the destruction of another. Writing is one of my passions, but admittedly I just don't feel like I have a chance to do enough of it. Thus, one of my resolutions for this year was to find more ways to write and actually commit to it. While this blog should certainly help out in that endeavor, it's also already led to Resolution number 2 being left by the side of the road.

I'm a time waster. Not just five minutes here and there reading e-mails or looking for random crap on eBay, but a serious time waster. No matter what my plans are for the day, they can easily be derailed by flipping channels and coming across The Shawshank Redemption on cable (That's easily three hours lost) or watching an episode of The Simpsons and spending the next hour trying to figure who my top 5 favorite characters are (I'm pretty certain Milhouse Van Houten cracks the top 5 and that should speak volumes about me).

In setting up this little blog, I've already lost a couple of hours of my life and hopefully a few more will fall by the wayside. But hey, how better to waste a few hours of your life than talking about the things you love.

My loves:
My wife and daughter. As my daughter gets closer to turning three she is becoming more and more interested in what Daddy is doing with all those baseball cards and how she can get some of her own. This year she'll be attending her first Angels game and the girl is excited. As I type this, she is pointing at all the random stacks of cards on my desk asking, "You wanna look at this with me later Daddy?" and "Are those mine Daddy?". I'm sure she'll grow out of it, but right now I'm loving her interest.

Baseball. Ever since I was a young boy growing up in Texas, I have absolutely loved baseball. I'm a huge sports fan in general, but nothing has ever captured me like baseball. To try and do my love for baseball justice in this space right now would be futile, but hopefully it will come across throughout the rest of my posts. I'm a diehard Angels fan and can't get enough of all things Halo related. Unfortunately, I live in San Diego. Great city and all that, but I miss being down the road from the Big A.

Baseball cards. My relationship with baseball cards has been an up and down one, which seems to be the same for most collectors. As a child of the late 80's baseball cards, I was a victim of the saturation and over production and as I got into my teens I just ran out of time and money for the hobby. Over the last couple of years I have rediscovered my passion for cards and collecting. I share many of the frustrations of today's collectors, but there's also a lot that I love. More than anything, I just like coming across cards with Halos on the front.

So that's who I am and that's why I'm here. It's a very odd thing to write a blog without a reader, but as that creepy voice always says, "If you build it, he will come". So apparently, if I build this blog, one reader will show up. Hooray!

Go Halos!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome aboard. You have found the Grandaddy of all the ways to waste time. You will soon see that writting posts on your blog will consume your every thought, bring you no money in return, agravate the hell out of your family, but probably be (other than spending time with your wife and daughter)the highlight of your day. Good luck, I've added you to my list, and like I tell everybody, it's not too soon to turn back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Hobby Blogosphere. Your site has now been added to the Sports Card Blogroll.

    Sincerely,

    JayBee Anama
    bdj610

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see an Angels fan on here. I have started following them since I am now in Salt Lake City. 7 blocks from Franklin Covey Field and a proud Bees season ticket holder now. If you are ever in SLC on game day let me know and you can attend a great game at a fantastic AAA stadium. If you are interested in a 2007 team set let me know. oljoe73 at gmail dot com. The Reds are still No. 1 in my heart though, so don't get any ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be very nice to have a fellow HALO fan start a card blog.
    I will be watching this and looking forward to some good blogging and laughs.
    GOOD LUCK

    MOJOJAZZ

    ReplyDelete