Jan 7, 2009

I Have a Confession

I entered high school in 1992 and although I never lost my love for baseball, my love of collecting baseball cards slowly came to an end. As sets and companies became more and more plentiful, I wasn't able to keep up with the hobby like I wish I had. Combined with the fact that I never had much money and now had many more places to spend the pittance in my pocket, my collecting life came to an end.

The divorce wasn't ugly, we just fell out of love with each other. I still found her attractive and wished we could keep that spark, but in the end there were just too many other temptresses out there for me.

The saddest part of it all for me now is that I have no idea what I missed out on. Throw a stack of 90's cards at me and I'll just sort of stare at them with that look of confusion most often found on my wife's face when I try to explain the infield fly rule.

Recently a new card shop opened up in my area and after an hour spent in the shop I returned home with well over 100 cards and I spent less than 10 dollars. An assortment of mid 90's Angel stars, all pictured on pieces of cardboard that I know so little about. While going through the cards I'm not real sure what to think. For the most part I'm fascinated by them. The odder the card, the more excited I am to slip it into my binders and admire it.

Now it's your turn to share in my amazement. To you, these cards might be old hat, but for me it's an exciting new world of odd colors, weird surfaces and strange compositions. I have a pile of Garret Anderson, Darin Erstad, Tim Salmon, Troy Glaus and Jim Edmonds. Hopefully you'll enjoy reviewing these cards as much as I am discovering them.

Go Halos!

2 comments:

  1. You are lucky to get those cards for that little. I checked out a new shop (to me) and was going through the Angels team binders there. I pulled out 28 cards to complete sets. 1998 - 2002 cards. No inserts. 42 Reds. Same thing. I was told thes are some GREAT cards. and them he, with a straight face, says "I can let you have them for $45. I did not know 2002 Authentix was worth $1.50 a card until then. So count your blessings and get to know the dealer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that's just brutal. This guy just seemed thrilled to have someone cleaning out his boxes.

    ReplyDelete